Cauvery Calling – Initiative by Sadhguru
The river Kaveri flows through the Indian states of Tamilnadu and Karnataka. It is the largest river in Tamil Nadu. It is also known by the name Cauvery. Apart from the use of the water of river Cauvery for household consumption, it is also majorly used for irrigation purpose and for electricity generation.
Due to removal of around 87% of the tree covers in and around the river the Cauvery River is now turning into a seasonal stream rather than a perennial river. So to overcome this issue of depletion of the river Cauvery, Sadhguru, Jaggi Vasudev has started an initiative named “Cauvery Calling”.
What is “Cauvery Calling”
Under the “Cauvery Calling” initiative Sadhguru aims to make Cauvery flow again by planting more trees. The Cauvery Calling initiative aims at planting 242 crore trees in Cauvery basin by adopting agroforestry with the help of farmers.
How will planting trees help Cauvery
There are three benefits of planting trees in the Kaveri Basin:
- It will improve soil health by replenishing organic content in the soil.
- Due to plantation, the water retention in the Cauvery basin will increase by an estimated 40%. This will not only revive the river but also increase the groundwater level.
- This will increase the income of the farmers by agroforestry.
Some facts about the Depletion of Cauvery River
- In the last 70 years, Kaveri River has depleted more than 40%
- Around 87% of the original tree cover in the Kaveri Basin has been lost.
- Around 50% of the Kaveri basin suffers critical groundwater depletion.
- River Cauvery has become thinner by 39% in the last 70 years.
Affect of this on Farmers
- 47,190 farmers committed suicides in the last 15 years in Kaveri basin
- 83% of farmers in Tamil Nadu and 77% of farmers in Karnataka are in debt
- 17 districts in Tamil Nadu were drought-hit in 2019
- 15 of the last 18 years have been drought years in Karnataka
Sadhguru’s motorcycle rally for Cauvery Calling
Cauvery Calling was formally launched in Talacauvery, the birthplace of River Cauvery on September 03, 2019 and culminating on September 16, 2019.
It is a 3500 kilometre-journey along the Cauvery basin on which 25 motorists had embarked through the Cauvery trail, crossing Coorg, Mysuru, Mandya, Bengaluru, Tiruchy, Thanjavur, Chennai and Thiruvarur among other places.
Cost of Planting Trees under Cauvery Calling
General Public can make their contribution to the Cauvery Calling initiative by paying for each tree that is planted. For each tree, you have to pay Rs 42.
Plant 1+ or more trees and be a Cauvery Upasaka
Plant 10+ or more trees and be a Cauvery Shoora
Plant 100+ or more trees and be a Cauvery Mitr
Plant 1000+ trees and be a Cauvery Veera
Plant 10,000+ trees and be a Cauvery Param Veera
Plant 100,000+ trees and be a Cauvery Rakshak
Plant 1 million+ trees and be a Cauvery Yodha
Plant 10 million+ trees and be a Cauvery Nayaka
How you can help
You can make donation as per your wish. Click on the below link to make donation in Cauvery Calling.
Start a Campaign
You can create your own campaign for Cauvery Calling and support the initiative.
Become a Volunteer
You can join as a Volunteer at the events organised by Isha Foundation.
Read on Cauvery Calling on News Websites